Early Childhood Development – Thrive for 5
In Haiti, chronic malnutrition affects 24% of children under five, with that rate increasing in rural areas. Malnutrition leads to a multitude of problems including stunted physical and mental growth, abandoned or “orphaned” children, and in extreme cases, death. Seeing this first hand, the Thrive for 5 program was born.
In 2014, we had 138 children from 0-5 attend the program with a caregiver, typically a mother. In this program, both the child and the caregiver received:
- Five meals per week
- Immunizations and weekly check-ups by health agent
- Ample clean water
- Community time, with Bible stories and songs
- Basic health education for the mothers/caregivers
- Access to paid medical expenses, when necessary
With our 2014 graduating class, these kids grew an average of 3.5″ in height and gained an average of 5.5 pounds in weight. For the average child in the U.S., a three year old will grow 2-3″ and gain 4 pounds. As you can see, we exceeded the averages for physical development in a year, even in Haiti. The cost to sponsor a child in this program is less than $1 per day. Please click here to see the children in the program that currently need sponsored.
Primary School Education – 180 for Haiti
According to UNICEF, 40% of children in Haiti do not attend primary school. This fact says attend, not graduate. Worse yet, only 18% of males and 21% of females attend secondary school. Only one out of three who start primary education will finish 6th grade. That leaves roughly 1.4 million children under the age of 15 not getting any formal education. Haiti’s education rate is one of the worst in the world.
This is unacceptable, as educating the next generation is one of the areas that can help break the cycle of poverty. To prevent this from happening in the future, we run the 180 for Haiti school scholarship programs. Our current projects:
- Sponsor 240 children at three different schools around the Savanette area (North of Pignon)
- Built the Pella Christian School in Ba Savanette, including deep clean water well and cooking kitchen
- A sponsorship includes: scholarships to attend school, books and school supplies, school uniform, check-ups by health agent, lunch program, and medicine as needed.
To sponsor a child in school, please click here to find out more information.